Monday, December 5, 2011

Tis the Season for a Good Read

Nothing is nicer than curling up with a good book when it's cold outside. Nothing... except perhaps adding some eggnog and a warm fireplace into the mix :) The only trouble is that this is my finals week... and I'm supposed to be working on projects. Aw hell, who needs a degree anyway. So after working on one of my projects for a good oh... 30 minutes, I started to read Susan Meissner's "A Sound Among the Trees." 3 1/2 hours later and here I am. It was good enough to not put down, which is more than I can ask for. The story follows Marielle as she enters into her new husband's and his ex great-grandmother-in-law's old civil war era house, Holly Oak. Not only must Marielle adjust to becoming a step-mother to two young children, she must come to terms with Adelaide (the ex-great-grandmother-in-law) and the supposing haunting of Holly Oak. Supposedly, the ghost of Susannah Page (a rumored civil war spy and traitor, as well as ancestor) lurks in the giant old house to ensure that all it's inhabitants suffer. The first half of the book is told through the eyes of Marielle and Adelaide and the second half is long lost letters written by Susannah that paint the true picture of Holly Oak and it's inhabitants. Overall, it was suspenseful and very well written. It may have started off a little slow, but by the time I started reading the letters of Susannah I was hooked. I highly recommend this book, it's fast paced and hard to put down. The ending is wrapped up perfectly. This is the second one of Susan Meissner's books that I've read this year and enjoyed. I can't wait to read more from her!!

No comments:

Post a Comment